Thursday, December 20, 2007

Wet..

Mark B Wet is the word of the day, just for you. The past two days sure have been crazy. Last night in the French Quarter was lots of fun, I am a little sad that now I have been to New Orleans twice in my life (last year's soul trip and this one of course) and I have still never seen the French Quarter in the day light. I hear that the buildings and architecture there is incredible, I wouldn't know though.

Today we worked at Muscian's Village again. It was a pretty productive day of putting in insulation underneath the house and securing it with "chicken wire". After two days of that (as well as my time spent doing the same thing after the flood in Ottawa) I am thinking I should take up the insulating profession, I sure know how to do it. It rained most of the day today which was fine since most of us were under a house and dry but after a while the rain got to be too much and the Habitat staff decided it was quitting time. Dan, Katie, and Phil (as well as the keys) were working inside houses securing some last minute things while the rest of us, unaware of their whereabouts, stood outside of the van in the pouring rain for at least 15 minutes. We were all completely miserable and complaining but after we got ahold of the keys and got in the van I sat there and realized that what we were going through was nothing. Standing outside in rain, even being soaked, was nothing compared to what the Katrina victims went through during the storm.

This trip has really helped to paint a new perspective on life for me as I see the massive devastation that is still present. Up in Ohio, I knew that things were bad down here but I had know idea what bad really was. It is unbelievable the way things still look down here and its making me wish I could stay here longer and do more.

Until later...
Tonya

No comments: