Monday, December 24, 2007

All good things must come to an end. . .

I’ve been back home for about 24 hours now and for the most part, I’ve not been able to stop thinking about the wonderful city that now has a small part of my heart. I think about what we did while we were there, did twelve kids from Ohio who insulated a few houses, helped with roofing, and put up siding really make a difference on the whole? I think about what lies ahead for the city, will the culture and history of that city someday be back? I think about what is needed to bring the people back, will the new homes of the lower ninth ward be enough to bring the people back?

The answers to those questions can only be answered in time, but for now, for me, it is enough to hope that one day New Orleans will be remembered not for the destruction and pain that it still encompasses, but for the love, respect, and strength which fills the hearts of those who are there.

My time in New Orleans, as short as it was, was an amazing experience that I will never forget. It taught me a lot about faith in other people, faith in God, and faith in one’s self. The people that I met there, citizens of New Orleans, Americorps volunteers, and Habitat volunteers have all changed me and the way I view not only that city, but the world in one way or another. The experience, as trying and difficult and frustrating as it was for me at times, is something that I will keep with me for the rest of my life. I can’t seem to find the right kinds of words to accurately say how amazing this trip was or how appreciative I am to have been able to experience it.

No comments: